Adjust text size

Looking for care+support?


Aged Care Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get started?

To be eligible for government aged care services, you must first contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and register. My Aged Care will then arrange for an in home assessment to be completed. This will be by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for Home Care Packages or Short Term Restorative Care or by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS) for lower level type services such as our Home Services.

Once you have received your approval (referral code), we will work with you to develop a package of services to meet your needs and goals.

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the national centre for aged care service information. This is the first stop for getting registered and where an assessor will be organised to come out and visit you. This visit will assist in determining what type of services you require to continue living at home. They can then make the referrals required. If you find you think you need more services you can contact us or My Aged Care to find out what else could be available.

What if I already have my assessment and now have a referral code?

Contact us directly to get started on developing your services. A customer service team member can visit you at home or arrange an appointment to assist with all requirements.

What if I need some local support?

Clarence Care + Support has staff based in the Clarence Valley with offices in Grafton and Maclean. Please contact us to discuss your services. We will be pleased to provide further details and information, obligation free.

How can I get more information?

Contact us and our friendly staff will respond.  Of course you can phone 6645 0400 for a chat or to arrange a visit.

What is an Aged Care Assessment Team/ ACAT?

The ACAT team will visit if referred by My Aged Care for those people needing higher level services. This is required even if you are currently receiving low level services and then need some more to remain living at home.  In particular they assess for Home Care Packages, Respite, Short Term Restorative Care and residential care.

What is the Regional Assessment Service / RAS?

The Home Support Assessors from RAS will visit if referred by My Aged Care for those people needing lower level supports to remain living at home. This will be services such as transport, personal care, meals, domestic assistance, lawn and garden maintenance, home modifications and equipment.

Home Care Package fees – where do I find out about these and how much I will have to pay?

My Aged Care has a calculator on their website for you to be able to look at what fees you may have to pay.  More information can be found here.

How old do I have to be?

The usual age for aged care services is 65 years or older, if you are of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander descent it is 50 years or older.  However if you have a health related condition then it may be beneficial for you to receive aged care services such as a Home Care Package. For example, a person with early onset dementia can be assisted by staff trained in the aged care sector who are experienced in caring for people with this condition.

What do I do if I am not eligible?

You can purchase services to support yourself privately. Clarence Care + Support offers a wide range of Home Services on a Private basis if required.

Can I get NDIS and aged care services?


More about our Aged Care Services

Aged Care

There are a range of services available from Clarence Care + Support ranging from basic level to higher-needs care.

Home Care

Choice and flexibility – this is what a Home Care Package from Care + Support can offer you.

Short Term Restorative Care

A Short Term Restorative Care package is a program of services that our coordinator and the customer put together to improve the individual’s health and wellbeing.

Social Activities - Over 65's

Do you find it hard to go out and need some extra support? Are you looking for something to keep you active? Would you like to meet with people who share the same interests? Do you need a break from caring and to do this your family member needs some support?